Preservation Northern Shenandoah Valley has been an effective advocate for preservation efforts in our community. This advocacy has led to the successful rescue of significant buildings slated for demolition, raised funds for the stabilization of endangered properties, and led to establishing good working relationships with various governments in our 5 county area.
Lord Fairfax Land Office Stabilization
One of the earliest efforts of PNSV was working to raise funds for the stabilization of Thomas Lord Fairfax's Greenway Court Land Office and carriage house in White Post, Clarke County, Virginia. PNSV was successful in raising $48,000 from local patrons for this important work. PNSV transferred the funds to the Clarke County Historical Society who is overseeing this important project.
Thomas, the 6th Lord Fairfax was master of the Scotland Proprietary of the Northern Neck of Virginia, a vast tract of land covering over 6 million acres. The only British Peer to establish residence in America, Lord Fairfax issued countless land grants to settlers throughout Northern Virginia. Greenway Court was where he lived and transacted his affairs.
Hohenheim - Saved from demolition
The survival of this circa 1890's Gothic Revival farmhouse can be attributed directly to PNSV's advocacy efforts at the local government level. In 2005, Georgetown University purchased the 55-acre farm property with the intention of building a student retreat center. and planned to demolish the house. PNSV officials met with County staff, spoke at the public hearing before the Board of Supervisors, and met with officials from the University. Ultimately, we were successful in convincing the Board of Supervisors of Clarke County to grant approval of the special use permit for the retreat center with the condition that the house would be saved.
Hohenheim is a Gothic Revival farmhouse, located on the ridgeline of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Clarke County, near Snicker’s Gap. The house was built in 1893 by Charles G. Smith, Sr., the founder of Potomac Stone Company (later Columbia Granite and Dredging Company). The name “Hohenheim” means “high home” in German.
Millbank House - Saved from demolition
The survival of this circa 1830's Greek Revival farmhouse can be attributed directly to PNSV's advocacy efforts at the local government level. The house was occupied until 1984, when the Frederick Winchester Service Authority acquired the property for the Opequon Water Reclamation Facility. After years of demolition by neglect, they announced plans to demolish the property in 2009.
Millbank House served as a hospital for wounded Union troops after the 3rd Battle of Winchester. This history led a coalition of local and regional preservation groups, including the Fort Collier Civil War Center, the Kernstown Battlefield Association, the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation, the Civil War Preservation Trust, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources and the Northern Shenandoah Valley branch of Preservation Virginia (now Preservation Northern Shenandoah Valley), to develop and present the Service Authority with a plan to save the building.
The Service Authority agreed and transferred ownership of the house to the Fort Collier Civil War Center. The house is now awaiting restoration.